Current Research Interests:
My research interests fall in the general field of information networks and data science,
including communication networks, Internet of Things (IoT), Fog Computing, social networks,
smart grid. My current research focuses on fundamental problems in information networks and
data science, including Fog Computing and its applications in IoT and 5G, IoT data privacy/security,
optimization/control of mobile social networks, cognitive radio networks,
stochastic modeling and control for smart grid.
Together, these areas have a wide range of intellectual emphasis. My
research draws on a synergy of advanced mathematical tools to deliver
practical network solutions. I believe that to make great impact,
engineering research should be application-driven and should bridge theory
and practice, and researchers should build a broad spectrum to tackle the
challenges in cutting-edge applications and meet the societal demands
National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Lei Ying), "TWC SBE: Small:
Towards an Economic Foundation of Privacy-Preserving Data Analytics:
Incentive Mechanisms and Fundamental Limits," NSF, 8/2016--7/2019.
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: V. Vittal at ASU; co-PIs:
Virginia Kwan and Larry Mays), "CRISP Type 2: Resilient
Cyber-Enabled Electric Energy and Water Infrastructures: Modeling
and Control under Extreme Mega Drought Scenarios," NSF, 8/2015--
- Principal Investigator (co-PIs: L. Ying and J. Kitchen at ASU),
"EARS: Joint Optimization of RF Design and Smartphone Sensing: From
Adaptive Sniffing to WAZE-Inspired Spectrum Sharing," NSF, 9/2015--
- Principal Investigator, "Social Tie Aware Spectrum Sharing:
Physical-Social Game and Cloud-based Cooperative Sensing," NSF,
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Lei Yang), "WiFiUS: Exploiting
Social Structure for Cooperative Mobile Networking," NSF.
- Principal Investigator, "An Exchange Market Approach for Mobile
- Principal Investigator, "NeTS: Small: Meeting Hard Deadlines of
Real-Time Traffic: From Wireless Scheduling to Smart Charging," NSF.
- Principal Investigator (co-PI: Y. Zhang at ASU), "Inducing and
Exploiting Spectrum Predictability via Traffic Shaping and Mobility
for Cognitive Communication in White Space," NSF.
- Principal Investigator (co-PI: Vittal at ASU, P.R. Kumar and S.
Vasudevan at UIUC ), "CPS: Medium: Collaborative Research:
Architecture and Distributed Management for Reliable Mega-scale
Smart Grids," NSF.
- Principal Investigator, "NeTS: Small: The Impact of Message
Passing Complexity on QoS Provisioning in Stochastic Wireless
- Principal Investigator (co-PI: Xue at ASU and P.R. Kumar at
UIUC), "NeTS: Medium: Collaborative Research: MIMO-Pipe Modeling,
Scheduling and Delay Analysis in Multi-hop MIMO Networks," NSF.
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Xue at ASU), "IHCS: Improving
Coverage and Connectivity in Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks
through Relay, Cooperation, and Mobility," NSF.
- Principal Investigator (co-PI: P.R. Kumar at UIUC), "NeTS-WN:
Collaborative Research: Channel-Aware Distributed Scheduling for
Optimal Throughput and Latency: A Unified PHY & MAC Approach," NSF.
- Principal Investigator, "A NSF Proposal to Support Young
Scientists and Graduate Students in 2007 IEEE Communication Theory
Workshop in Sedona, Arizona," NSF.
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Spanias at ASU), "Collaborative
Research: CCLI-EMD; Development of On-line Laboratories for
Networks, Probability Theory, Signals and Systems, and Multimedia
- Principal Investigator, "CAREER: Efficient Resource Management
and Multi-Access Protocols For Bursty Traffic Over Wireless
Networks: A Cross-Layer Design Approach," NSF.
- Principal Investigator, "CDMA/HMD (Hierarchical Multiuser
Diversity) Access Schemes for Multimedia Wireless Networks," NSF.
Dept. of Defense (DOD)
- Principal Investigator (co-PI: Vincent H. Poor at Princeton
Univ.), "Integrated Cognitive Mobile and Social Networking," DoD
- Principal Investigator (co-PI: S. Cui at TAMU), "Foundations for
Network Resilience Against Cascading Failures: Modeling, Fundamental
Limits and Robust Network Architecture," DoD DTRA.
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Calderbank at Princeton and 9
co-PIs), "Information Dynamics as Foundation for Network
Management," DoD MURI.
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: A. Sen at ASU, and co-PI:
Ramchandran at UC Berkeley and C. Qiao at SUNY Buffalo), "A Robust
and Resilient Network Design Paradigm for Region-based Faults
inflicted by WMD Attack," DoD DTRA.
- Principal Investigator, "Networked Information Gathering in
Stochastic Sensor Networks: Compressive Sensing, Adaptive Network
coding and Robustness," AFOSR.
- Principal Investigator, "Situational Awareness through
Multi-layer Spectrum Sensing and Network Design," AFOSR.
- Principal Investigator, "Information Geometric Network
Architecture for Heterogeneous Network Management," AFOSR.
- Principal Investigator, "Energy Efficient Cross-Layer Design for
Disadvantaged Wireless Networks: Dynamic Sensor Management,
Channel-Aware Data Transport and Survivability," Office of Naval
- Principal Investigator, "Energy-Efficient Cross Layer Algorithms
for Ad-Hoc & Sensor Networks," SPAWAR (ONR).
Dept. of Energy (DOE)
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: K. Hedman, and co-PI: S. Oren at
UC Berkeley), "Reliability Metrics for Renewable Resources and
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: V. Vittal, and co-PI: M.
Kezunovic at TAMU), "Data mining to characterize signatures of
impending system events or performance from PMU measurements in
smart grid," PSERC.
- Principal Investigator, "Optimal Design for Multi-Channel MAC
with Directional Antenna," John Hopkins Applied Physics Lab.
- Principal Investigator, "Cellular Cross-Layer Design: Analysis
and Simulation," Intel Research Council.
State of Arizona Projects
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Duman at ASU), "A complete
wireless communication system for the next generation information
technology," State of Arizona, 6/2002-- 5/2003.