Current Research Interests:
My research interests fall in the general field of information networks
and its intersections with power systems and social networks, with focus
on stochastic modeling, optimization, and privacy/security aspects.
Together, these areas have a wide range of intellectual emphasis. My
research draws on a synergy of advanced mathematical tools to deliver
practical network solutions. I believe that to make great impact,
engineering research should be application-driven and should bridge theory
and practice, and researchers should build a broad spectrum to tackle the
challenges in cutting-edge applications and meet the societal demands
National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Lei Ying), "TWC SBE: Small:
Towards an Economic Foundation of Privacy-Preserving Data Analytics:
Incentive Mechanisms and Fundamental Limits," NSF, 8/2016--7/2019.
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: V. Vittal at ASU; co-PIs:
Virginia Kwan and Larry Mays), "CRISP Type 2: Resilient
Cyber-Enabled Electric Energy and Water Infrastructures: Modeling
and Control under Extreme Mega Drought Scenarios," NSF, 8/2015--
- Principal Investigator (co-PIs: L. Ying and J. Kitchen at ASU),
"EARS: Joint Optimization of RF Design and Smartphone Sensing: From
Adaptive Sniffing to WAZE-Inspired Spectrum Sharing," NSF, 9/2015--
- Principal Investigator, "Social Tie Aware Spectrum Sharing:
Physical-Social Game and Cloud-based Cooperative Sensing," NSF,
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Lei Yang), "WiFiUS: Exploiting
Social Structure for Cooperative Mobile Networking," NSF.
- Principal Investigator, "An Exchange Market Approach for Mobile
- Principal Investigator, "NeTS: Small: Meeting Hard Deadlines of
Real-Time Traffic: From Wireless Scheduling to Smart Charging," NSF.
- Principal Investigator (co-PI: Y. Zhang at ASU), "Inducing and
Exploiting Spectrum Predictability via Traffic Shaping and Mobility
for Cognitive Communication in White Space," NSF.
- Principal Investigator (co-PI: Vittal at ASU, P.R. Kumar and S.
Vasudevan at UIUC ), "CPS: Medium: Collaborative Research:
Architecture and Distributed Management for Reliable Mega-scale
Smart Grids," NSF.
- Principal Investigator, "NeTS: Small: The Impact of Message
Passing Complexity on QoS Provisioning in Stochastic Wireless
- Principal Investigator (co-PI: Xue at ASU and P.R. Kumar at
UIUC), "NeTS: Medium: Collaborative Research: MIMO-Pipe Modeling,
Scheduling and Delay Analysis in Multi-hop MIMO Networks," NSF.
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Xue at ASU), "IHCS: Improving
Coverage and Connectivity in Heterogeneous Wireless Sensor Networks
through Relay, Cooperation, and Mobility," NSF.
- Principal Investigator (co-PI: P.R. Kumar at UIUC), "NeTS-WN:
Collaborative Research: Channel-Aware Distributed Scheduling for
Optimal Throughput and Latency: A Unified PHY & MAC Approach," NSF.
- Principal Investigator, "A NSF Proposal to Support Young
Scientists and Graduate Students in 2007 IEEE Communication Theory
Workshop in Sedona, Arizona," NSF.
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Spanias at ASU), "Collaborative
Research: CCLI-EMD; Development of On-line Laboratories for
Networks, Probability Theory, Signals and Systems, and Multimedia
- Principal Investigator, "CAREER: Efficient Resource Management
and Multi-Access Protocols For Bursty Traffic Over Wireless
Networks: A Cross-Layer Design Approach," NSF.
- Principal Investigator, "CDMA/HMD (Hierarchical Multiuser
Diversity) Access Schemes for Multimedia Wireless Networks," NSF.
Dept. of Defense (DOD)
- Principal Investigator (co-PI: Vincent H. Poor at Princeton
Univ.), "Integrated Cognitive Mobile and Social Networking," DoD
- Principal Investigator (co-PI: S. Cui at TAMU), "Foundations for
Network Resilience Against Cascading Failures: Modeling, Fundamental
Limits and Robust Network Architecture," DoD DTRA.
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Calderbank at Princeton and 9
co-PIs), "Information Dynamics as Foundation for Network
Management," DoD MURI.
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: A. Sen at ASU, and co-PI:
Ramchandran at UC Berkeley and C. Qiao at SUNY Buffalo), "A Robust
and Resilient Network Design Paradigm for Region-based Faults
inflicted by WMD Attack," DoD DTRA.
- Principal Investigator, "Networked Information Gathering in
Stochastic Sensor Networks: Compressive Sensing, Adaptive Network
coding and Robustness," AFOSR.
- Principal Investigator, "Situational Awareness through
Multi-layer Spectrum Sensing and Network Design," AFOSR.
- Principal Investigator, "Information Geometric Network
Architecture for Heterogeneous Network Management," AFOSR.
- Principal Investigator, "Energy Efficient Cross-Layer Design for
Disadvantaged Wireless Networks: Dynamic Sensor Management,
Channel-Aware Data Transport and Survivability," Office of Naval
- Principal Investigator, "Energy-Efficient Cross Layer Algorithms
for Ad-Hoc & Sensor Networks," SPAWAR (ONR).
Dept. of Energy (DOE)
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: K. Hedman, and co-PI: S. Oren at
UC Berkeley), "Reliability Metrics for Renewable Resources and
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: V. Vittal, and co-PI: M.
Kezunovic at TAMU), "Data mining to characterize signatures of
impending system events or performance from PMU measurements in
smart grid," PSERC.
- Principal Investigator, "Optimal Design for Multi-Channel MAC
with Directional Antenna," John Hopkins Applied Physics Lab.
- Principal Investigator, "Cellular Cross-Layer Design: Analysis
and Simulation," Intel Research Council.
State of Arizona Projects
- Co-Principal Investigator (PI: Duman at ASU), "A complete
wireless communication system for the next generation information
technology," State of Arizona, 6/2002-- 5/2003.